The Right Decision

I am one of those people that gets a ton of ideas. I can brainstorm like its my job. BUT, I’m also super organized. A list-maker, OCD, highly subjective thinker. I often am quick to process, slow to patience, and this combined with my right-brained creativity can cause issues for me.

Ideas are quickly implemented. Commitments are made rashly. And I put my 100% effort into things that I haven’t 100% thought through. I come up with something that everyone will love and it will take off like wildfire! Only to find that it didn’t work as well and not many people like it.

Boo.

This has made me really second guess everything I do in the past few months. A downfall of my left-brain tendencies. I overthink. And because my brain is fast and furious in processing, it tends to be more like a runaway freight train rather than deep consideration. So launching businesses and ideas here and there hasn’t been good for me. Its actually been more of an ego blow than anything. Not every idea takes off. And it takes work to create a product people love.

I have really been thinking about what I love to do. I am in school right now and have my little family. So those are first priority. But after that, I tend to get a little fidgety when I don’t have an outlet. This blog is one aspect, but I also love design. I’ve said it many times before. About a month ago, I designed wedding invites for a school friend. They turned out amazing and I LOVED the process! It was so fun! I am working on a little line of Valentine’s Day postcards right now for our family too. But in the interest of streamlining my life to find joy, I have an announcement.

I am discontinuing my blog and web design services.

I may occasionally work with people here and there, but that’s like one or two people a year. ErinLaurayCreative.com and ErinLaurayStudio.com websites will no longer be. And the other 10 domains I own for ideas that I’ve contrived I will also be letting expire. HappyPaperCo.com will be on that expire list too.

Its kind of like when you’re cleaning out your closet and you get rid of a shirt you like simply because you don’t wear it anymore. My general rule when getting rid of clothes is that if I haven’t worn it in a year [sometimes even much less], I give it to one of my sisters or get rid of it. Even if I like it, I will purge it. Its not worth it to me to hang onto things when I know in the end I won’t end up using them anyway. I can’t let a pretty shirt I don’t wear [or a grand idea I never followed] clog up my life just because it is pretty.

So I will own one domain by the end of the year after everything else expires: erinlauray.com :)

In the interest of clearing out my life so that I can move, breathe, and function, I have to let go. I have to grab onto the things that bring me joy and let go of the ones that stress me out. Stress is a natural emotion and it is normal to feel this way, but when everything is a big jumbled pile of stress, something has to give.

SO…friend, will you come on this streamlining journey with me? Will you de-clutter your life to make room to breathe? Cheers to a fresh and clean 2014 [hey, that rhymed] and more of what brings joy. xo

Comments

1. My Dad always says, there are good ideas & good times for good ideas. It sounds like this was an overwhelming force in your life – and like letting go of it is going to open you up to all kinds of amazing opportunities! Letting an idea go is hard, but it’s also really brave. Congratulations on being an active force for calm, peace & simplicity in your life! That’s a huge win :)

• Erin Lauray says:

I LOVE what your dad says! That is such wisdom. I seriously had a stomach ache after posting this post and felt so scared. But it also felt good to jump ship and finally feel the peace of having an afternoon or evening to myself – with no obligations to web design. Its something I love, but I am looking forward to seeing how I can use graphic design in other, less stressful ways. :) [Like Planner Camp…ahem… ;) ]

2. Erin, I stumbled on your blog a few months ago and have loved reading it. I just want to say that even though we don’t know each other, I think we’re the same person. It felt like I was reading a page out of my journal while I read your post! I decided to stop doing photo sessions for 2014 for the same reason. I have a lot more room in my schedule now and feel like I can focus a lot more. It’s a freeing feeling. So, you go, girl! I hope that this year is the best, most organized, streamlined one ever!

• Erin Lauray says:

Mikaela! Sister! :) Its too bad we didn’t get to meet when I lived in Dallas a couple years ago! :) Congratulations for creating space in your life. It feels so good, doesn’t it? It makes life so much more enjoyable. Cheers to our 2014s…may they be rich, full [in a good way!], and joyful! :)

3. This is a hard decision but I think a good one. I stopped designing last year for basically the same reason.

I love how you compare decluttering things to decluttering life. I’ve been slowly working through different parts of my room, clearing out things I don’t use, don’t want, don’t need, and as I keep clearing through all the mess I have in my space, I want to reevaluate my commitments. I’m going to try keeping them to a minimum, so the things I have committed to, I can focus on doing well.

I’m excited to hear all about your new venture! And super duper excited to see the paper products and phone cases you create.

• Erin Lauray says:

Often, when I feel the need to simplify mentally, I will simplify physically. When I am stressed, cleaning is something I do. Sort of a subconscious attempt to clear away the messy feelings. :) [Am I a psych major or what??] But I do feel like its therapeutic to do something physical that represents your goals…I am currently very slowly spring cleaning and I feel like its a great simple start to 2014.

And thank you for the product encouragement! Can’t wait to design more! :)

4. Erin, good for you! It’s hard, I’m sure, but decluttering my life and streamlining my efforts has helped me so much in the past year!!

• Erin Lauray says:

Thank you, Whitney! I feel like cleaning out is going to give God the space He needs to move. Whether that is simply to have less on my plate or make room for something big, I am trying to keep a focused heart. Its so hard to let go of things you’re passionate about for other things you’re passionate about. But I know its right! :)

p.s. CONGRATS on the shout out by Tamera! :) So happy for you!

5. Hope Connell says:

Oh wow, Erin! I’m sure that was a super hard decision. Wishing you all the best on your future projects!

Hope

• Erin Lauray says:

Thank you, Hope! Definitely a HARD decision but needed. It feels really weird that I made this decision I know is the right one and yet have felt weepy since writing this post! I appreciate your encouragement!

6. Erin, I just wanted to let you know how much I respect you for taking this step in your life. It’s not an easy one, I’m sure, but your courage to let go of something that has defined who you are lately is definitely a trait for people to admire.

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors, I’ll hope and pray that it’s nothing but a smashing success!

• Erin Lauray says:

Thank you so much, Brian. I have had a stomach ache since posting this. Its definitely hard but I know that God has been calling me to this for a few months now. I appreciate your prayers and words of encouragement! They really mean a lot!!