More Thoughts on Slowing Down

Thoughts On Slowing Down

Yesterday, I wrote a post about slowing down. The desire for more and less at the same time. And then literally ALL DAY yesterday, I saw post after post after link after link for the same thing: slowing down. And it caught my eye of course, but it started to make me wonder if God was trying to tell me something. And as the day wore on and the theme kept being, well, a theme…I knew God was saying something to me.

But what?

I mean, yes, I know that He is telling me or showing me the value of slowing down. He is validating that desire in my heart. But I felt like all those posts were showing me He saw me. He knew. But what I was confused about was what He was asking me to do. Was He asking me to do anything? Was He calling me to action or simply showing me that a value in the day to day is to take it slow?

I will admit, I often feel pressure to continue blogging, designing, and business-ing because the extra income reeeeeally helps. Its not imperative, but it helps in those oops moments and on weeks that things are tight. I often take responsibility for this because my husband just can’t work more [he already works 50+ hours weekly along with a one hour each way commute] so the yoke is on me to provide any extra income. Yes, I know that the yoke isn’t really on me, but it feels that way. Especially when, as a stay-at-home-mom, I feel like my time during the day can be useful to help bring in more income.

But sometimes, my mind wanders to what if I didn’t do anything? What if I stopped blogging-tweeting-designing-earning-striving-trying? I’m never going to stop blogging or Tweeting. I’ll tell you one thing, I would lose my way of connecting with some amazing women across the country…but what I mean is what if I just did it for what God wanted to pour into me and not for anything else? No more trying. No more searching. Just plain friendships and blog posts about being a mom and wife and whatever else.

I don’t think quitting everything is what God is calling me to, but when I think about what that would look like, you know what thought comes to mind? Rest. Peace. No more deadlines.

I also feel like the Lord has given me my business, my blog, my wonderful community online…and I want to use it for Him. I want to bless Him with it. So my first step in all of this is to start getting up early again and spending time with the Lord before I do anything. Before emails, before checking likes on Instagram, before responding to Twitter mentions. I used to do this, and then the boy started waking up in the middle of the night again and I got out of habit.

Gosh that sounds sad, doesn’t it?

I got out of habit in spending time with my friend, Jesus. I want to get back into my morning coffee dates with Him.

I compiled a list of all the posts I came across yesterday on slowing down here for you to read. I know you will find rest in them and validation if you, too, are longing for slow in your life.

dreaming big + simple obedience // the pint sized mama

why you don’t have to hurry today // (in)courage  << super encouraging & my favorite

Crying at Starbucks, a belated birthday + tossing unrealistic expectations to the sea // Gussy Sews

how to make time slow down // sarah markley

and then Jesus Calling:

Come away with Me for a while. The world, with its nonstop demands, can be put on hold. Most people put Me on hold, rationalizing that someday they will find time to focus on Me. But the longer people push Me into the background of their lives, the harder it is for them to find Me.

You live among people who glorify business; they have made time a tyrant that controls their lives. Even those who know Me as Savior tend to march to the tempo of the world. They have bought into the illusion that more is always better: more meetings, more programs, more activity.

I have called you to follow Me on a solitary path, making time alone with Me your highest priority and deepest Joy. It is a pathway largely unappreciated and often despised. However, you have chosen the better thing, which will never be taken away from you. Moreover, as you walk close to Me, I can bless others through you.

Be blessed today, friend. And if you ever need a listening ear or a prayer, I’m your gal. Tweet me, message me, or leave a comment here. xo

Comments

1. says

i love this. i just took an influence class on hearing God everyday, and her biggest point was how we can hear Him in the most unconventional ways…and i just did through your post.
    i just quit a job i had for four years and so i have all this time right now, i’m just not using it well. i think stopping all the busy means we have to be even more intentional with our time. where we use it, Who we spend it with. some days i just move around and before i know it, it’s dinner time. and my day is gone. i love what you said about blogging and the community it brings :)

• Erin Lauray says

Isn’t it crazy how that happens? Like the clock says 10:00 am and then suddenly you’re cooking dinner a little too late and you’re rushing to get the kids in the bath. I’m so glad that you heard the Lord through these words today. I pray that you continue to hear His direction for this area of your life. Being intentional, as you said, is SO important. Things don’t come together all by themselves, we have to purposefully make decisions, especially if time is an area we struggle. The devil knows that too! You can bet he will try and bring us down with it! Thanks for stopping by, Megan!

2. says

Thank you, Erin. As you saw reminder after reminder the other day of slowing down, today is my day to really hear God speaking to me about this same problem. It’s been on my heart for a while, but with the baby at home and us just now (as in last 3 nights) getting to the point where we’re sleeping more than 3 hours at a time I’ve let everything slide. I’ve let the most important “thing” in my life slip away.

“I got out of the habit of spending time with my friend, Jesus.”

Arrow to the heart.

I find it interesting (and intriguing) that you – and I see Liz above – are also struggling with this. Is it a work-at-home thing? Is it a “young children” thing? What is it in our lives that keeps us too busy for Him? Is this something we can overcome, through Him? Giving up my business is not something that is financially feasible for us at the moment so I’m challenged to come up with another way to make Him a priority and to slow down for my family.

I would be interested in checking in with both of you on our progress and journey to slow down and do away with the “busy.”

• says

Laura Jane, hey I guess we’re not alone on this. I do think I big part of it is having little ones at home. We want so much to be there for our kiddos (which we of course we should) be successful in our jobs and maintain home, marriage, friendships etc..etc….

Last year around this time I also felt God to have me put designing on hold and I did for a few months. It was about putting Him first and putting my family first. You’d think I would learn by now how to live out my relationship with God and make it a priority…I get mad and frustrated with myself for allowing God to slide down on my list of priorities. But through it all I guess I’m learning to embrace grace…grace for the phase of life I’m in now and grace from a loving God who knows my weaknesses and faults and still calls me “daughter”.

• Erin Lauray says

I love this, Liz. I have to remember that too — the Lord has GRACE for us! The post I list “why you don’t have to hurry today” speaks to this. God is patient, lvoes us, and is waiting for us. No toe tapping. No watch checking. I love that. :)

• Erin Lauray says

I think it is interesting too. I really do think you’re right with the working at home with littles thing. I feel like when I had a job outside the home, when I come home, I’ve left the office and it will be there for me when I return the next day [I worked until my daughter was 8 months, so this is actually something I’ve experienced]. I think because I knew that there was a dedicated time slot for work, I didn’t think about it when it wasn’t work time. But with working from home, I am trying to find little bits of time here and there and feel like I am constantly thinking about work, emails, to-do lists, etc because I don’t have a predictable way of staying on top of those things.

I wish that I had a sitter for a couple days a week for a few hours so that I knew that playing on the floor with the kids isn’t in competition with the emails waiting to be responded to or the to-do list mocking me from the table. Does that make sense? I do think its something we can overcome if our situations call for us to keep working.

3. says

Wow, I can’t tell you enough how much your blog post resonates inside me….I’m going through something similar. I had a conversation with my hubby the other day about feeling compelled to keep designing cause of the extra income that it brings in and helps keep us afloat. He told me that if I really felt God calling me to stop designing for a season to spend more time with our kids that it was an honorable and noble gesture….that God would bless us for that.

I think there are times when God asks us to give up things or put things on the altar that it’s because He’s wants to bring us into a new season. That’s exciting and scary all at the same time. I have allowed my time with God to take low priority these days….not a good thing. Time for me to make some changes.

Thanks for sharing this!

• Erin Lauray says

Thanks for the wisdom, Liz. I don’t think God is calling me to give it all up, I think He is just showing me that I am letting life fly. Spending time with Jesus has been a very low priority for me lately. I think he is gently calling me back to him.